What should you know about freshly squeezed juices and smoothies to get the most out of them and avoid possible harm?
Five health benefits of fresh juices
1. The best absorption of vitamins and minerals. Even if consuming the same amount of fruit that was used for jucing, the absorption of vitamins and minerals from the juice will be better, simply because the liquid is easier to digest than solid foods. Vitamins and minerals from smoothies are digested somewhat worse than from juices, but still much better than solid products. It is recommended to drink juices/ smoothies in small sips, fully sensing the taste. This will improve the absorption of nutrients.
2. In freshly squeezed juices and smoothies, you can add various types of greens. For instance: sprouts, leaves of root crops, wild grass, greens, etc. In greenery contains many useful substances, like essential amino acids , chlorophyll. Not many will enjoy chewing a bunch of fresh parsley or dill, but will gladly drink a juice or smoothie, which is added to the shredded greenery in the blender or the juice from the greens. And in that and in another form the green is perfectly absorbed by the body.
It is important to use various types of greens, on the one hand to provide the body with the most diverse set of nutrients, and on the other hand to avoid excessive use of any substances.
3. Unlike fresh vegetables and fruits, there is not much fiber in the juice (cellulose) . Fiber in the body is not digested, but it is the food of symbiotic bacteria living in the intestine. At the same time, putrefactive bacteria with cellulose cannot live. Therefore, foods rich in fiber help to shift the balance towards the predominance of beneficial microorganisms over pathogenic ones. Useful bacteria provide us with many important microelements. Harmful microorganisms poison our bodies with toxins.
Fiber helps to maintain a balance between beneficial and harmful bacteria, feeding the first and suppressing the reproduction of the latter. However, when nutrition is predominantly raw plant food (vegan, vegetarian) the healthy microflora significantly prevails over the pathogenic and there is no need for additional measures to maintain the balance. Therefore, everyone in whose diet is predominantly fried food and animal products , it is better to prefer smoothies and juices with flesh.
4. Freshly squeezed juices contribute to the cleansing of the body due to the fact that they load the digestive tract much less than solid foods. Energy, which usually goes to digest food, can be directed by the body to purification and recovery processes. The most vivid results give a complete transition to liquid nutrition for a period of several days to several weeks. But regular unloading days on juices also give excellent results. Even the replacement of one meal per day with juice has a significant effect on well-being.
Some juices have a purifying effect on certain organs. For example, liver purification uses juice from apple, lemon, beet, radish. To cleanse of slags, juices from radish, beets, cabbage, apple and carrots are especially effective. The juices of black radish and lemon are used to cleanse the joints . Some of the safest juices that purify the body, which can be used almost without restrictions – apple and carrot.
5. Due to the property of many juices to reduce the viscosity of the blood, you can avoid taking certain medications (such as, for example, aspirin). The effect of juices on blood coagulability is explained by the content of organic acids in them. The majority of organic acids are anions – substances that slow down blood coagulability. Freshly squeezed juices can be used instead of medicines in the following cases:
⦁ You can reduce body temperature in case of illness.
⦁ To prevent the formation of blood clots. The following juices exert a diluting effect on the blood: raspberry, strawberry, kalinovy, currant, cranberry, lemon, orange, carrot, apple, peach, pineapple, pomegranate, tomato, etc.
To enhance the effect, you can add fresh ginger, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, spinach – these products also dilute blood.
Six Potential dangers of fresh juices
1. The main problem with fruit juices is the large amount of fructose contained in them . Fructose, of course, is more useful than white sugar, but, nevertheless, it also refers to simple carbohydrates – sugars. Fructose from fruit juices can be absorbed by harmful, putrefactive bacteria. The extent to which this problem is relevant specifically for you, depends on your usual diet .
If your diet consists mainly of meat, eggs, dairy products and flour , your microflora consists mainly of putrefactive bacteria. In that case, sweet fruit juices will do you more harm than good.
If you are a vegan, then all vitamins, minerals and other useful substances will be absorbed by your body, with the help of beneficial bacteria, in the best possible way.
What should you do if your diet is far from ideal ? It is recommended to consume less sweet vegetable juices and green cocktails, with a lot of pulp (fiber). In order to sweeten the juice, I recommend using leaves of stevia. Stevia, in contrast to normal sugar, does not affect the blood glucose content.
2. There is a theory that cellulose is essential for the health of the digestive system. We might assume that the benefits of juices are higher, the more fiber in them. That is, smoothies are preferable to juices, and whole fruits, vegetables and greens are preferable to smoothies.
Thus, fiber helps to maintain a balance between beneficial and harmful microorganisms, feeding the first and suppressing the reproduction of the latter. When feeding exclusively raw vegetable food (with the correct transition to such nutrition), a healthy microflora significantly prevails over pathogenic and there is no need for additional measures to maintain a balance. Fiber also slows down and reduces the absorption of vitamins and minerals. Therefore, as a source of vitamins and minerals, juices are just preferred. In addition, a longer stay in the stomach creates a greater strain on the digestive system.
3. The harmfulness of juices is an overabundance of vitamins and minerals. Do not be afraid to get an excessive amount of vitamins and minerals, using freshly squeezed juices. As in the case of fresh fruits and vegetables, excess elements simply will not be absorbed by the body. This is the feature of live food – fresh, not heat-treated. In order for such food to be absorbed, the body must develop appropriate enzymes that trigger the autolysis process – self-digestion of food by its own enzymes. The body knows what it needs, and will not develop enzymes to trigger the autolysis of excess food.
4. Many vitamins contained in fresh vegetables, fruits and greens, are destroyed in juices under the influence of light and air. Therefore, it is advisable to drink juices immediately after preparation. If, however, you want to prepare the juice in advance, store it in a light tight container or in a container of dark glass, and in a cool place (you can in the refrigerator).
Do not be afraid that in fifteen minutes all the vitamins in the juice will be destroyed – this will not happen. But within two hours fruit juice is desirable to drink.
5. Fruit acids destroy tooth enamel. It’s true – fruit acids, in large quantities contained in juices from sour fruits, can have a destructive effect on tooth enamel. However, this problem is relevant not only to juices, but also to the fruit itself. Moreover, when chewing fruit (for example, citrus fruits), the effect on tooth enamel is more prolonged.
In order to reduce the harm of juices for tooth enamel, you can drink the juice through the straw, dilute the juice with water ( to reduce the concentration of fruit acid) or rinse mouth with clean water after juice.
The water temperature is important! Do not rinse your teeth with hot water after drinking cold juice, as the temperature drop is extremely harmful to tooth enamel.
6. The causes of unpleasant sensations (the formation of gases, bubbling in the stomach) with the use of freshly squeezed juices can be several:
⦁ Mixing of juices with other food. Juices are recommended to drink either on an empty stomack or 30-40 minutes before the next meal. Do not drink juices after eating other foods.
⦁ Acidic juices (such as lemon, grapefruit, orange, to a lesser extent – apple) should be taken on an empty stomach. They can irritate the intestinal mucosa. To avoid this, it is recommended to dilute acidic juices with water in a 1: 1 ratio.
⦁ Mixing poorly matched foods in juice. When preparing juice or smoothies, it is worth bearing in mind that some vegetables and fruits are better not to mix with each other.