For years people lived without vitamin and mineral supplements. All the necessary vitamins and minerals are contained in the natural products that we eat. Although, ideally, it is possible to receive all vitamins and minerals from foods, the basis of nutrition for most modern people is the processed food industry products, in which harmful food additives are significantly more than any vitamins. And the store fruits and vegetables are really much poorer in vitamins and minerals than fresh and grown without the use of nitrates. Some foods worsen the absorption of vitamins and minerals or provoke their loss. These are caffeinated drinks ( coffee , black and green tea ), milk and dairy products.
Many vitamins are produced in our body – for this is the microflora (useful bacteria living in the intestine). If you eat meat, eggs, dairy products, most of the beneficial bacteria in you are replaced by putrefactive bacteria which, in addition to poisons, do not produce anything.
To maintain a healthy microflora fresh, non-heat-treated, vegetable products containing fiber are needed . Also, antibiotics have a harmful effect on the microflora . Yes, and stress kills some useful bacteria (more precisely, adrenaline that gets into the intestines due to the fact that under stress we do not use it – we do not run, we do not fight, but we sit and experience).
The products of modern food industry often do not contain any vitamins. Proteins, fats and carbohydrates(and, not better quality) – that’s all that our body can extract from these products. As for fresh vegetables and fruits, the content of vitamins and especially minerals in them directly depends on the conditions in which they were grown. If the soil is poor in mineral substances – in the plants of these substances too, there will be little. If the growth and maturation of fruits and vegetables has been artificially accelerated, they will not have time to accumulate enough minerals, even on mineral-rich soil. Transportation and storage using antibiotics, radiation, preservatives, and even refrigerators, destroys most of the vitamins. As a result, there is no way to get vitamins and minerals from food in the right amount and it is necessary to take vitamin-mineral supplements.
Whether To Take Vitamins: Damage Of Artificial Vitamins
The damage to artificial vitamins can be caused by several factors:
Many vitamins and minerals offered by pharmaceutical companies are not in the form in which they should be in nature. Perhaps there are unfavorable effects of adverse effects when taking such vitamins, or they simply do not perform the functions that they expect. One of these vitamins is … ascorbic acid. In vegetables and fruits, vitamin C is contained in a completely different form! Synthetic vitamins can lead to irreversible disturbances in the functioning of the organism and to changes at the cellular level. Often noted allergic reactions when taking vitamins . The intake of vitamins and minerals can lead to an overdose , which is no less dangerous than a deficit.
Supporters of the intake of synthetic vitamins respond to these charges as follows:
The composition of vitamin and mineral complexes includes only proven substances, either identical to natural, or similar in their effect. Nobody has unequivocally proved that synthetic vitamins adversely affect health. Allergic reactions are caused not by the vitamins themselves, but by substances contained in the capsule shell or included in the tablet.
To avoid an overdose of vitamins and minerals, you just have to follow the instructions and do not exceed the recommended daily dose.
Should vegans and vegetarians take vitamins?
There is an opinion that all vegetarians and even more vegan must take vitamins without fail. In fact, vitamins are much more often taken by those who consume meat and dairy products.
Do pregnant women need to take vitamins?
I believe that it is sensible to pregnant women, like everyone else, to take vitamins only in case of real necessity – deficiency of any vitamin (of course, taking into account the increased demand for many vitamins and minerals during pregnancy). Of course, pregnant women should often do a blood test, closely monitor their condition, especially take care of their food, etc. And, if necessary, should take vitamins.
Do I need to drink vitamins during illness?
During illness, as well as at any other time, it is preferable to get vitamins from natural products and not from tablets.
Do I need to drink vitamins after taking antibiotics?
The intake of antibiotics disrupts the microflora, which prevents the absorption of vitamins and minerals. Nothing to fight with the investigation – it is much smarter to fix the main problem. Thus after taking antibiotics, one should not drink vitamins, but a probiotic to restore microflora and, as a consequence, the body’s ability to absorb vitamins and minerals from food.
Do I need to drink vitamins “just in case”?
Do you drink medicine “just in case”? The intake of vitamins “just in case”, without any reason, is a strange decision. Especially, given the doubts about the benefits of synthetic vitamins in general.
Who really needs vitamins?
- To people, with certain diseases that cause disruptions in the assimilation of certain substances.
- People who do not want to give up bad habits (smoking, alcohol).
- People, at their own volition or forcedly eating mainly canned, processed food, half-finished products, fast food.
- People, for whatever reason, sitting on a monotonous diet, poor in fresh plant food.
- In the case of a deficiency of a vital vitamin or mineral, if attempts to fill this deficit with food do not give
the desired effect.
How and what vitamins to drink?
- If it is a complex of vitamins or minerals, the vitamins in the capsules will be preferable to the tablets, since the tablet may not completely dissolve (correspondingly, part of the contents of the tablet will not be used).
- Give preference not to universal complexes, but to individual vitamins and minerals, or complexes containing several well-combined substances (which help one to assimilate each other).
- Before taking vitamins and minerals, find out what kind of food they combine well with, and with what they should not be taken. For different vitamins and minerals – different recommendations. You can consult a doctor or a pharmacist when buying a drug.
- Do not exceed the daily dose of vitamins. Consider that part of the vitamins and minerals you get with food.
- Buy brand-name medicines and only in trustworthy stores.
- Note that some vitamins and minerals can be in various forms. Often, one form is useful and well absorbed, while the other is poorly digested and has harmful side effects. For example, lactate or calcium citrate is absorbed significantly better than calcium carbonate, which is cheaper and is used in preparations more often.